To read the full report
Buyers’ View of Salespeople 2015
Over 12 years and 7 editions, TACK International has investigated the opinions of business buyers to assist salespeople in developing their skills and techniques to become more effective in their roles.
Possessing an understanding of buyers’ preferences is key to developing long term, profitable customer relationships that deliver valuable solutions to clients. That is why we consistently carry out this research. Doing so means that we can provide up to date and relevant insight to the sales profession, enabling professional development and better results for clients and suppliers alike.
In this latest edition of the study we asked business professionals, who conduct purchasing for their organization, their views on a range of topics related to the process of business purchasing.
The areas we covered are:
• Purchase Behaviour
• The Sales Person
• The Purchase Process
• Proposals and Pitches
• Buyer Trends
In our most extensive global study to date, the findings were telling and demonstrate some interesting and important shifts in behaviours that sales professionals and managers should examine, reflect upon and consider when planning their professional growth.
Overall we discovered an increasing influence from the emerging Generation Y – (born between 1981 and mid 1990s). Their involvement in the purchasing process and growing influence in business is having an increasing impact on purchasing and wider business environments, highlighting some key trends to be considered.
The pertinent points to note are:
• There are significant opportunities available for salespeople to chase – the market is opening up and customers are searching for increased value and innovation from their suppliers – not just lower prices.
• The importance of long term customers is vital to help build your brand’s reputation and credibility in the market. Potential clients value the opinion of existing customers above anything else when making a buying decision.
• Suppliers are not truly understanding customers’ needs and thus damaging their own reputation by not delivering solutions that match the requirement – questioning and listening skills need development.
• There is greater involvement from people across generations in purchase decisions of a relatively low value
• Business behaviour is less formal than ever before – buyers increasingly accept casual dress, expect shorter proposals and desire less formal formats for pitches.
Overall our findings indicate significant opportunities for the ‘agile’ sales person. If sales professionals can develop their questioning and listening skills, take time to understand their customer and adapt to the multiple styles and motivators of people involved in the purchasing process, then sales success is not far away.
We hope that you find the detailed findings useful in developing the success of your sales organization.
Who is it for?
At TACK we have a strong belief, gained from 67 years’ experience in the sales training industry, that the behaviour of salespeople makes more of an impact when driven by a thorough understanding of their customer. By understanding our customers’ preferences, we are in a much stronger position to build relationships and provide customers with solutions that help them achieve their goals.
That is what this survey will help you do…
The insights from this study should be used by sales managers and salespeople alike. It should also be used by owners of small companies and anyone responsible for the commercial performance of an organization.
The information in this document will help you design or amend your sales process to take into account the preferences of buyers today, adapt your approach to customers and develop your awareness of factors you may wish to consider when developing your proposition.
Clearly every customer is different, and this is actually the essence of our findings. However, if you are responsible for developing salespeople, driving commercial growth or making the sale, then these findings will be of interest and help you identify the appropriate methods to be successful with the range of stakeholders you and your team encounter.
Back to MDITack – Leadership Training organizer in Jakarta